Businesses both large and small, public and private, for profit and non-profit, are driven by numbers. Whether it’s tracking sales, managing inventory or undertaking the payroll, smart managers know that keeping tabs on those numbers is crucial. However, without a solid accounting function, the task can become an organisational nightmare. Organisations seeking a well-rounded accounting function need to consider several aspects of accounting beyond just simple debits and credits.
The primary purpose of any accounting function is that of ongoing financial record keeping. Monetary information of all types – operational expenses, salaries, donations, capital expenditures, investments, cash flow, utilities – should be tracked on a monthly basis at a minimum. The ongoing result is the creation of an organisation’s financial history that can be used in a variety of ways, as it gives managers a snapshot of the firm’s financial health and wealth at any given time.
The AAT Accounting Qualification is greatly respected in the financial industry and is designed to give participants all the practical skills they need to build a career in accounting function. AAT members are ambitious, focused accounting professionals. Many of the members occupy senior, well-rewarded positions with thousands of employers – from blue-chip corporate giants to public sector institutions.
The Advanced Diploma in Accounting, which is one of the certificates AAT includes, offers technical training in accounting concepts, techniques, and principles. It explores the international regulatory environment, international financial reporting standards, management accounting tasks, ethics, VAT, integrity and fairness.
Why Choose the AAT’s Advanced Diploma in Accounting?
- An internationally recognised qualification
- Provides a specialist qualification covering all key aspects of accounting and can be taken as a stand-alone qualification or as part of the AAT Accountancy Professional Qualification.
- Delivers technical training in accounting.
- A qualification that is in demand by employers in both the public and private sector, with many employers considering AAT qualifications as essential.
- Provides participants with greater confidence in their own skills and abilities
- Offers access to, and the support of, a professional body within the accountancy sector.
- Offers a progressive study pathway providing participants with the specialist knowledge and skills required for progressing either to employment in an accounting or finance role, or to enable progression to further studies in accountancy and finance.
- Globally portable as the programme addresses international issues and best practice techniques to offer international knowhow
By the end of the programme, participants will have an international understanding and be able to:
- Apply the principles of advanced double-entry bookkeeping
- Implement procedures for the acquisition and disposal of non-current assets
- Prepare and record depreciation calculations
- Record period end adjustments
- Produce and extend the trial balance
- Distinguish between the financial recording and reporting requirements of different types of organisation
- Prepare accounting records from incomplete information
- Understand the purpose and use of management accounting within an organisation
- Apply techniques required for dealing with costs
- Apportion costs according to organisational requirements
- Analyse and review deviations from budget and report these to management
- Apply management accounting techniques to support decision making
- Understand the need to act ethically
- Understand the relevance to the accountant’s work of the ethical code for professional accountants
- Recognise how to act ethically in an accounting role
- Identify action to take in relation to unethical behaviour or illegal acts
- Design and structure appropriate spreadsheets to meet customer needs
- Use spreadsheet software to record, format and organise data
Who Should Attend?
The programme is suitable for all accounting staff and will be especially relevant for Accounting Managers and Officers, as well as any professional seeking to attain the AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting.
The Association of Accounting Technicians – AAT
The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) offers the perfect start to a successful accounting and finance career. AAT qualification is recognized by leading employers worldwide and remains the ideal first step, whether individuals are just starting out, they are already working in finance or thinking of changing careers. Most importantly, an AAT qualification proves to current and potential employers that they have the accountancy expertise and skills to turn theory into practice.
AAT and EIMF
The AAT and EIMF have a long-lasting collaboration in organising training and development events and promoting opportunities that are of value to the AAT members as well as to accounting professionals. The AAT has awarded the EIMF the “Authorised Training Provider” status, which allows EIMF to offer quality preparation courses for participants pursuing the AAT Qualification.