FinTech and the Regulators
The EIMF Live Online Learning Experience
EIMF subject-matter experts deliver engaging and interactive courses across a broad spectrum of areas, that can be enjoyed in the comfort of your own chosen environment. Read more
The advent of e-money licenses has been seized upon by a number of fast-growing Fintechs who aim to disrupt existing retail and commercial financial service providers, and in particular banks, in the same way the internet has challenged many ‘bricks-and-mortar’ retailers.
The ultimate Fintech may be Facebook’s proposed Libra global cryptocurrency. However, there are several key regulatory obstacles, such as data protection and AML. This course explains which areas of business the Fintechs are targeting, the opportunities and obstacles and how the incumbents are responding.
By the end of the course participants will understand:
- Which business areas the challengers are targeting
- How they aim to do this
- The various regulatory aspects involved
- Their various business models
- The viability of their approaches
- How much impact they are having
- How incumbents are responding
- Introduction: what is a Fintech
- The key components of the standard banking business model
- Peer-to-peer platforms and the challenges the model faces, e.g. Zopa
- E-money licenses and Payments services, e.g. Venmo
- FX payments – e.g. Transferwise, Revolut
- Facebook’s Libra and the regulatory challenges it faces
- Internet-only banks – e.g. N26 v Metro Bank
- How incumbents are fighting back
The course describes the various Fintech areas and also includes a number of case studies of current Fintechs. With each the aim is to facilitate discussion of the various attributes of the different offerings in order to assess how significant they may be.
This programme may be approved for up to 5 CPD units in Financial Regulation. Eligibility criteria and CPD Units are verified directly by your association, regulator or other bodies which you hold membership.
Professionals requiring CPD units to meet the education requirements for CySEC licence renewal, and/or for maintaining other professional memberships/certifications which accept CPD in Financial Regulation, are advised to consider training subjects in categories that indicate CPD training in Financial Regulation.
Who Should Attend
The course will provide essential knowledge for anyone involved in retail and commercial financial services, including regulators.