As Al Pacino said in the movie The Recruit, “Things are not what you think they are.”
The rapid increase in fraud cases and recent major corporate accounting scandals like Enron, WorldCom, and Bernard Madoff emphasized the importance of forensic accounting in conducting an examination into a company’s financial statements.
Forensic accounting is a challenging discipline which analyses, inspects and examines “the flow of money” along a “paper trail” in the search for fraud, embezzlement, or hidden assets. After all, Forensic Accountants are considered as: “The Sherlock Holmes of the accounting world” (Messmer, Max).
The program will introduce participants to Forensic Accounting, will cover reasons behind fraudulent acts, the most important types of Occupational Fraud, basic investigation techniques and measures for prevention.
By the end of the programme, participants will be able to:
- Understand what is Forensic Accounting
- Learn the reasons behind fraudulent acts
- Learn the main types of Occupational Fraud
- Learn how to identify cases of potential fraud in the workplace
- Analyse and interpret financial information
- Apply basic investigation techniques
- Apply basic prevention measures
- Introduction to Forensic Accounting
- Fraud Triangle
- Fraud in the Workplace with emphasis on Financial Statement Fraud
- Red flags
- Analysis and interpretation of financial information
- Basic investigation and interview techniques
- Basic prevention measures
- Case studies
This programme is designed to deliver knowledge and enhance participants’ skills via brief lectures, practical examples and case studies. The training will focus on providing participants with a basic understanding of Forensic Accounting and awareness of the most significant types of Occupational Fraud for example Financial Statement Fraud and Asset Misappropriation. Significant amount of time will be invested in analysing real-life case studies which will assist participants to develop necessary skills so as to handle a potential case.
This programme may be approved for up to 7 CPD units in Accounting and Auditing. Eligibility criteria and CPD Units are verified directly by your association, regulator or other bodies which you hold membership.
Who Should Attend
The programme is ideal for:
- Internal Auditors of both public & private sectors
- External Auditors
- Risk Management professionals
- Compliance Officers
- Financial Controllers & Directors