The Institute of Directors (IoD) is a business organisation for company directors, senior business leaders and entrepreneurs. It is the longest running organisation for professional leaders, having been founded in 1903 and incorporated by Royal Charter (UK) in 1906. The IoD learning path offers Directors the opportunity for career advancement and acknowledgement that may lead to Director Chartership.
Whether professionals are already at director level or hold a place on the board; are newly appointed directors or professional aspiring for a seat on the board; or merely senior professionals who wish to improve performance with fresh insight, the IoD Certificate in Company Direction, Level 9 (Post Graduate SCQF) qualification will equip them with the core knowledge, practical tools and awareness needed to function effectively as a director.
The programme covers the key areas of governance, finance, strategy and leadership providing participants with a strong foundation in effective directorship:
- An in-depth view of the role, responsibilities and legal duties of a director
- An understanding of the characteristics of an effective board
- Sound knowledge of financial terms and concepts
- The issues and processes associated with formulating strategic business plans and achieving strategic leadership
Why Professionals Choose this Qualification?
Now, more than ever, businesses need dynamic strategic direction at board level. Being a qualified director can help professionals and their organisations stay ahead of the competition, recognise and create opportunities, remain composed throughout periods of challenge and lead their organisation to success. The Institute of Directors Company Direction Programme offered by EIMF demonstrates the highest level of qualification for directors.
Professionals will learn from experienced practitioners from the prestigious Institute of Directors (IoD), gain the core knowledge and awareness for senior strategic leadership roles in the private or public sector.
Benefits of a Director Qualification
- Consolidate your knowledge, skills and experience with a formal qualification
- Take that new knowledge and expertise back to your board of directors
- Enhance your performance and that of your organisation
- Gain professional recognition and reward for your achievements
- Demonstrate to stakeholders that your organisation upholds the highest professional standards in governance and leadership
- Gain access to an unrivalled peer network and become part of our prestigious community of alumni
Download the Programme Leaflet
Certificate in Company Direction modules
Role of the Director and the Board
Develop a practical understanding of best practice in the boardroom, recognise the director’s key legal responsibilities, become conversant with the board’s role in corporate governance and be able to ensure transparency in internal procedures.
Finance for Non-Finance Directors
Understand key financial concepts and terminology, and attain the skills and knowledge required to evaluate business plans with confidence, question financial information and contribute more effectively to boardroom decision-making.
Leadership for Directors
Using the latest leadership techniques from real world leaders, learn how to create influence, engagement and impact. Attain the key competencies required to be an effective leader at board level with the opportunity to practise and develop some of these competencies.
Strategy for Directors
Attain the practical insights to create, implement and evaluate the organisation’s strategy, and deliver current business objectives, while future-proofing the organisation. Explore the relationship between strategy, governance and risk and learn how to use tools and frameworks that support strategic thinking and decision-making.
Why attend the Institute of Directors Certificate in Company Direction programme
- Professionals may achieve the IoD Certificate in Company Direction in a flexible way and without taking focus away from their professional life
- Professionals will share experiences with their peers in an environment conducive to intensive learning
- Minimise the amount of time spent away from the office
- Participants will learn from leading industry professionals whose talent and ability has been proven in the marketplace
- Available for individual directors as well as groups of directors from the same organisation
Who will benefit?
- Any busy director who simply cannot take too much time away from the demands of their business and who is looking for a fast track method of achieving the Certificate in Company Direction
- Overseas directors who are looking to complete the full programme.
- Leaders from organisations of all sizes and sectors who want to bring specific competences and credibility to their businesses
- Those who wish to gain further qualifications will be able to progress to the Diploma in Company Direction and to Chartered Director status
The steps to achieve the Certificate in Company Direction
- Attend the ten-day face-to-face programme at EIMF
- Enrol in the Certificate in Company Direction examinations
- Access the recap quizzes and examination preparation area on the IoD Academy website (provided after registration to the programme)
- Upon successful completion of the examination, professionals will receive the Certificate in Company Direction and may use the designatory letters after their name: Cert IoD
Flexible examination dates are available throughout the year and are offered via remote invigilation using a computer-based testing system which can be used on your home or work computer.
The Certificate in Company Direction is composed of four separate modular exams:
- Award in Role of the Director and the Board
- Award in Finance for Non-Finance Directors
- Award in Strategy for Directors
- Award in Leadership for Directors
The exams can be taken in any order, all at once or month by month. Candidates will be awarded the Certificate in Company Direction once all four modular exams have been successfully completed.
Each modular exam is 45 minutes in duration and composed of 16 multiple-choice questions drawn from a randomised question bank. Twelve of these are one-mark and four are two-mark questions, with varying degrees of difficulty.
Exams will need to be booked directly with the IoD as per below fees:
- Certificate (All 4 exam modules): £600 + VAT
- Modular Award: £200 + VAT