The current business realities of our digital era are reshaping the rules for business success and making great demands on today’s managers, who are more challenged than ever before.
For today’s manager to safeguard success, technical competencies and effective day-to-day management and coordination are not enough; they also need to develop a leadership mind-set and a set of competencies with which they can successfully lead people to achieve personal, departmental and company goals.
Emotional Intelligence (EQ), an essential management requirement of our era, encompasses a set of competencies which allow managers to develop the leadership mind-set and the competencies they need to be successful by enabling them to understand and manage emotions and impulses in themselves and others, to communicate effectively, problem solve and build rapport even in stressful and tense situations.
This programme uses learnings from the latest management thinking and research, to enable managers to develop a leadership mind-set and equip them with the tools, skills and techniques they need to harness the power of EQ and safeguard their success.
The purpose of the current programme is to help managers nurture and refine their leadership mindset and emotional intelligence competencies to bring successful practices, techniques and tools to their everyday tasks and duties. Upon completion, participants will:
- Understand the importance of a leadership mindset and the link between this and emotional intelligence
- Recognise their own management style and the impact that this has on the behaviour, motivation and performance of those around them
- Realise the potential of cognitive diversity and know how to adapt their approach and communication style to maximize the effectiveness of their collaboration, regardless of the working style of the other person
- Recognise different leadership styles and know when to apply these
- Understand the power of empathy and how to use this as an effective leader to motivate, inspire and engage those around them
- Introduction and Warm-up
- The current business landscape and the need for new skills
- Developing a leadership mindset – how emotional intelligence can assist
- Developing Self-awareness
- Understanding emotions and their impact on leadership
- Recognising my style and preferences and how this affects those around me
- Appreciating that management style is a choice
- Self-management to be an effective leader
- Social awareness
- Harnessing the power of empathy – seeing things from other’s perspective
- Effective communication – it’s not just about information
- Assertive communication
- Relationship management:
- Building cooperative relationships with staff and other key stakeholders
This course is interactive in nature and participants will be actively involved, using their own experiences and challenges to reinforce and adapt the new knowledge and skills to their own reality, as well as examples, case studies and simulations provided by the trainer.
Use of self-assessments and reflective exercises will also allow participants to increase their self-awareness and provide opportunity for peer reflection and discussion
All sessions will combine elements of PowerPoint presentations, Flip-chart notes, small group and open discussions, audio/visual material and experiential exercises.
This programme may be approved for up to 7 CPD units in HR, Leadership, Management and Professional Development. Eligibility criteria and CPD Units are verified directly by your association, regulator or other bodies which you hold membership.
Professionals requiring CPD units to meet the education requirements for an occupational licence renewal, and/or for maintaining other professional memberships/certifications which accept CPD in HR, Leadership, Management and Professional Development, are advised to consider training subjects in categories that indicate CPD training in HR, Leadership, Management, Personal and Professional Skills.
Who Should Attend
The programme is suitable for managers of all levels especially those working in demanding and face-paced environments, including:
- Novice managers looking to develop their management and leadership capabilities
- Experienced managers looking to update, reinforce and/or refine existing knowledge and skills