Although negotiations take place every day, the biggest negotiations often have far reaching implications. To handle these effectively individuals need to understand what to do, what to say and where they want to reach to achieve their goals. As with many successes in life, it is the pre-work and planning that will ultimately win the day. This programme will provide the tools and techniques for both the preparation and for the negotiation meetings, calls or messages.
Using a structured approach to negotiating will build and develop the necessary confidence, as well as allow for effective reviews to be made, as improvement areas are more easily identified. In a competency area like negotiation skills there are no limits to how much can be achieved – this is why a structure which is flexible but practical can help individuals and their organisations to improve.
Most negotiators develop habits and traits which work for them, but which – over time – tend to come down to a small range of behaviours and habits. This training workshop will help participants evaluate their own habits and mindset and identify new approaches which will provide a more flexible yet still professional approach.
Prepare to Negotiate
- Why we negotiate
- Where races are won – and lost
- What does Win/Win really mean?
- Planning negotiation outcomes
- What will they be planning?
- Hard and soft outcomes
- Seeking the easier routes
- Preparation for specific scenarios
Exercise: Pairs exercise – looking for the mutual benefit
Interests and Positions
- Describing their positions
- Connecting with interests
- Describing our own positions and interests
- Looking for strengths & weaknesses
- Outlining walk away status
- Describe your BATNA
- Consider how to use your BATNA
- The balance of power
Exercise: Practice preparation in pairs– your next negotiation
Becoming Skilful Negotiators
- Who do you like negotiating with?
- Creating the right first impression
- Building rapport and connection
- The power of questions
- Questioning styles and types
- Listening for negotiators
- Flexing and re positioning
- Reframing for your outcome
- Why should they?
Exercise: Questioning skills for positions & interests
Negotiating with IMPACT
- Structured negotiating
- Applying skills to situations
- Questioning with confidence
- Understanding their positions
- Looking for alternatives
- Asking for what you want
- Seeking solutions using benefits
- Identifying “sticky” points
- Moving to the best solution
Exercise: Negotiation practice in small teams, with feedback
Techniques for “tough going”
- The most powerful words
- When to stay and when to go
- The “Columbo”
- Testing their desired outcome
- Face to Face/Phone/email/other?
- What does “no” mean?
- Deadlines and concessions
Example: application of techniques to a range of situations
Improving with Practice
- Interactive exercise/scenario
- Implementation of learning
- Developing through feedback
- Learning through watching and doing
- Identification of individual learning points
- Win/win in practice
Exercise: The Deal – team/pairs exercise with feedback
This course is interactive in nature and participants will be actively involved, using their own experiences and challenges to reinforce and adapt the new knowledge and skills to their own reality, as well as examples, case studies and simulations provided by the trainer.
The course will combine the application of the basic techniques ensuring everything is covered, with more advanced skills to develop and enhance their negotiation style. Participants will have the opportunity to work on practical material to apply and negotiate in everyday situations, not just client scenarios. The training will also use training models that help with structuring negotiation context, i.e. not for quick scripted lines.
This programme may be approved for up to 7 CPD units in Soft-skills and Personal & Professional Development. Eligibility criteria and CPD Units are verified directly by your association, regulator or other bodies which you hold membership.
Who Should Attend
This interactive course will benefit professionals irrespective of their position and from any business sector where negotiating with clients, colleagues and business partners is part of their everyday job function, including:
- Executives and Managers
- Senior Managers in Investment Firms
- Marketing Managers and Officers in Retail banking and insurance
- Sales and Business Development Executives
- Client Account Managers
- Financial Institutions with both retail and business clients
- Financial Consultants